Unless you were hiding under a rock, you know yesterday was Thanksgiving. For most, this has become a day of planning which stores to go to at what times. My family always spends the day going over the ads a few times to say the least, but they never really go out to do the dreaded shopping part. Once every few years someone will venture into the crowds. I, in fact went out for my first time this year.. Never again. Probably wasn't the smartest going nine months pregnant, but Jon thought it would be a great story if my water broke in the store. Thankfully (And I mean that) it didn't happen. We were home by 11:30, I felt that it had to be more like 3 AM, but Jon got his prize.
As I sat in line with the cute older gal in front of me and the uber drunk, loud, obnoxious chick behind me; I couldn't help but think about something my Grandma had said this year during dinner. She started by asking me what I was thankful for. Which was easy... I have had three years to think about this, and every Thanksgiving I go back to this very thought. I'm Thankful I still get to spend time with my whole family. Some at the table didn't understand that. They saw a smaller crowd this year, and to them my "whole family" wasn't there. How quickly some forget what our family went through just a few years ago. Or maybe they just don't understand how much of a blessing it still is to my immediate family to have my Dad still with us. I am so grateful that my Son will meet my Dad and the man he is named after. There is a reason we chose that name, I hope as Jack grows he will see every single one of those reasons. I may put my Father on a high horse, But I believe Jack is very lucky to carry the name Troy. And I hope he lives up to everything Jon and I love in that name.
Then my Grandma went to Jon, after he shared a thought she shared her feelings. I think this is the first time I had seen my Grandma do this. I LOVED IT. She shared how thankful she is that we all still want to spend time with each other. She shared how amazing it was to her that ALL her children and grandchildren are temple worthy. This got me thinking, because she was right. How many families have that? How many families have every member stay active and worthy for the blessing the temple offers. I don't believe there are many. Yes we have our differences, but we are all in this for the long haul. Our feelings won't suddenly change when we pass. We are still us. And we will all be together. It's amazing.
My Grandma also pointed out her children, and how grateful she was for them, that they were able to keep their families active. I believe my Grandmother has had a huge role in this. She always has her doors open and wants us to feel as though we can come and go as we please. We all know she will always be there. She makes every single person in the family feel important in a different way. With me, she was always more laid back, (which I'm sure she is with others as well) I grew up calling her G-ma (which cracks me up, cause I now have another cousin who also calls her that. Both on our own accord, both for different reasons I'm sure) or "My Sexy Grandma" This lady can dress, she has amazing style. Another thing I love about her, she is not afraid to tell any of us we are out of line. Although I believe there are times she would like to say something and doesn't. Keeping family around is more important to her at times. With out her I wonder where our family would be. Would we still get together for Holidays? Probably not. She is our glue.. I love her so much. I am so grateful for her.
Yayyy for trying black friday even if it wasn't your favorite. We ventured outside to find deals that day too! Thankfully we all made it out alive...And hooray for awesome grandma's! I had a grandmother who was pretty special to me as well! They always hold a special place in your heart...
ReplyDelete