**Note this post is one day early, But dang it! I have plans tomorrow!!**
Well it has been one whole year! I can't believe the time has gone by so fast!! We have had so much fun together this past year, both ups and downs, but I couldn't imagine doing it with anyone else. Ever since Jon and I were married, I have been meaning to write down "Our Story" of how we met. I have never really taken the time to sit down and do it. But I want it done before I forget all those quirky fun details. So for one year, why don't I start by writing it down here? Then I will be killing two birds with one stone. FINALLY writing it down and getting a post in at the same time.. Pretty genius if you ask me.
Let me take you back to a time of snow and... Just kidding..
In January of '09 I was siting in my bedroom reading, or doing something productive I'm sure.. When I got a call from a handsome young fellow. His name was Scott. We have been really close friends for years. The type of friend you tell each other exactly what you are thinking, no matter how bad. I was used to him calling or showing up at odd hours, so to have him call so late wasn't anything new. If you know Scott, you know that when he wants to say something, it just comes out. Being tactful isn't his strongest attribute.
"I have a date for you!" Is what came out. Now that I have explained Scott.. If you know Me, you know that I'm totally against blind dates. They are awkward and you never get someone to act "normal". So me, being the sweetheart I am very politely said... "NO! I don't do those!" After a few minutes of talking he said that I owed him one chance to set me up on a blind date.. and I reluctantly said yes. Then Scott told me he was going to have "the guy" call me to tell me exactly what day.
A few days went by, and I didn't really give it to much thought. I think I was secretly hoping that the kid would chicken out and not call. I really hated blind dates! I got a call while watching some good ole' American smut TV with Sam, (reality shows) I remember because I didn't want to answer because I would miss it, but I didn't want to miss an important call either.. Dilemma!! I answered, and there was a voice on the other end that sounded a little confident if you would have asked me at the time. I still remember the conversation, because I laughed at it when I got off the phone.
Jon.. "Hi is Chelsea there?"
Me.. While thinking.. Of course I'm here.. You did call MY phone didn't you? "This is her."
Jon.. "Hi! (yes there was that much enthusiasm in his hi) This is Jon.. Well my names Jonathan, but my friends call me Jon. My family calls me Jonathan. So you call me whatever you want. But.. my names Jon."
Me..(Okay crack head Jon) "Hi.... Jon? We already know my names Chelsea."
Jon.. "Do you go by Chelsea, or Chels?"
Me.. "Both, I guess it depends on if I'm in trouble or not." (he laughed.. He laughed a lot actually)
Jon.. "Well now that we know each other, I was wondering if you were doing anything this Friday?"
Me.. "Not anything that I know of at the moment."
I know I sounded really cold, but I really hated blind dates.. Loathed THEM is probably a better term! But promise, I did give him a little here and there. I know a laughed a little. Especially when he went off on his Jon-Jonathan rant. We talked for a little bit after that. I was surprised how easy he was to talk to. I'm sure his rants helped with that a lot. I'm not kidding when I say the kid was all over the place!!
Then Friday, January 9th came. I was late getting home because of work. It wasn't the best day, and I most definitely was NOT in the mood to entertain someone I didn't know. Scott had asked Sam to go, So we would all know each other. Her and I couldn't have been in more opposite of moods. She was excited while getting ready, I was getting ready because I had to. When Scott and Jon came to pick us up, I was still getting ready. Like I said before work kept me late, so he was sitting on my couch when I came downstairs. I put on a happy face and perked up and luckily Sam was the only one that knew I wasn't thrilled with the idea of the date. My first impression of him... I still can't quite figure out. He was wearing a nice gray and white stripped sweater. And his hair was butched short. He caught me looking at it and said. "She went a little crazy."
We went to Olive Garden for dinner. The wait was crazy long! But we were able to talk and get pretty comfortable with each other for the circumstances. At one point Sam and I were both looking at his hair, and Sam asked if I thought it had been Dyed. I said yes, he heard us, waited a couple minutes and said..
"YEP! I was totally a girl and went and got my hair 'did' for my date!" I was laughing so hard! I couldn't believe he fessed up to it! The wait was so long for our table. So Scott and Jon peaked over at the hostess table to see which number our buzzer was. Then like a champ, when no one but us and few other impatient costumers were watching he reached over and pushed our number to buzz us up.. Voila!! We walked up with our buzzer.. buzzing and they took us to the next table. Done and Done!!
Dinner was actually a blast! We didn't talk about anything really important or serious, we just had fun. After dinner we went to a movie, I couldn't even tell you what the movie was. We were late so we had to sit on the front row. It was a horror film I know that. But Jon-Jonathan and I spent our time whispering and laughing. Then the cheese ball reached into his pocket and said "Would you hold this?" I reached out my hand and he grabbed it.. I rolled my eyes at him and just said.. "Really?" He just smiled HUGE and said back "Worked didn't it?" then he wouldn't let go. We hung out a couple more times, and things were going pretty well. I liked him and I knew it! Then I did it.. The one thing every one knows me for. Running.. I told Jon I just couldn't see this going anywhere and it would better if we were just friends. You see the thing is. I had.. received?.. The impression that Jon-Jonathan was going to be around for a while. I needed to open up. This scared me because we had only been dating.. "hanging out" whatever you want to call it for a week. So I stopped it the only way I knew how. Want to know how that turned out?... I'll share a little something from a book no one gets to see.. it's scary in there..
January 18, 2009
Jon and I decided to just be friends... But it was pretty apparent when we were together tonight that there was more there than "just friends". So we will take it slow... I'm so grateful, He said we could take as long as I needed. But he wanted me to know that he was committed. He wasn't going anywhere, and he would wait as long as it took for me to come around. And he was excited!.
He is amazing..
Isn't it funny how when you say your going to take things slow that's when they go fast? It's like the secret saying to get things moving!! My Grandma laughed when she heard I told him nothing was going to happen. I had told her that I knew something else was there, but she just laughed and said, "Nobody tells Chelsea what to do!" Meaning I tried to out-wit fate or something.
We dated you know.. the kind where you swear you're not exclusive cause you don't want to move fast.. but you're turning down other dates that come your way.. Yeah that kind. There were so many other funny little tid-bits that happened. But this post is getting pretty long. So maybe I'll share those another time.. who knows though you may all be done with the mushy dating posts for a while. So I'll wrap this up.
Jon asked my dad to marry me at 4 weeks. Yes.. 4 weeks since the blind date, we had only known each other ONE MONTH!! It still freaks me out. At the same time I felt like I had known him forever. He actually proposed on February 6th, 2009. Five weeks and one day after we met. This was so crazy for me, But I knew it was right. Everything about it was right. I had been proposed to before, I knew exactly what NO felt like. So Yes for me, was easy figure out. And I'm so glad I did. We were married in the Logan LDS Temple on June 23rd, 2009. I love you Jonny, Happy First Year!!
Wow, my daughter Kaitlyn is five weeks and one day old today, so I know exactly how short of a time that is! I'm so glad you are so happy. Happy Anniversary!
ReplyDeleteoh how cute!! i love your dating story, and the sly way he got you to hold his hand ;) I'm gonna have to copy you on inserting some words from your journal, my husband and I are coming up on our 5th year of meeting each other!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the one year!!
i love the dating stories!! and i wanna hear more of your "stories"! CONGRATS LOVE BIRDS!!
ReplyDeletebtw.. i love your new background! :)
ReplyDeleteAw, cute! And no worries about it still kind of freaking you out: Glenn proposed after us dating 1 week and, although we "took it slow" (again, TOTALLY understand), I knew it was right and haven't regreted my decision in the least. Happy One Year!
ReplyDelete